Lighthouse Commodities, LLC (LHC) has extensive commodity trading and risk management experience across grain production, cattle feeding, and commodity processing industries.
At LHC, we leverage this experience to bring professional risk management, hedging and merchandising services to our farm clients.
The Farm Merchandiser will be responsible for working with a group of farm clients to deliver LHC’s full service farm marketing offering as well as trading the cash position of at least one of the commodities LHC trades.
- Regularly interact with Farm Marketing clients via phone, email/text and site visits to establish strong relationships, inform clients of key marketing developments and recommend/execute client-specific marketing plans.
- Maintain relevant client data including contract entry, trade inputting and updating clients’ online risk summaries; all with a strong commitment to accuracy.
- Analyze local and global markets, contribute to LHC’s overall market view and be able to continually communicate that view to marketing clients.
- Develop relationships with logistics providers and grain purchasers. Stay continually aware of current market activity and be able to evaluate new/changing markets and opportunities for clients’ grain.
- Understand key aspects of trading including freight, arbitrage, futures/options, carry, etc.
- Ultimately, be able to execute a resulting trade when the combination of market conditions and client goals creates an opportunity to initiate a physical, futures or options transaction.
- Be able to manage a cash grain position including buyer relationships, trade execution, arbitrage and hedging.
- Help as needed with all other aspects of LHC’s farm marketing, trading and logistics activities.
KEY SKILLS and STRENGTHS
- Ability to understand all components of a marketing plan and communicate that successfully and continually with a variety of clients
- Ability to manage data with high accuracy
- Ability to respond quickly when market conditions create need for prompt action across a large number of clients.
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong relational skills
- Ability to work independently, in a high stress environment and effectively manage multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously
Work schedule will primarily be normal daytime business hours, Monday through Friday, with additional hours required as needed.
This position will require infrequent travel to offsite events or meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, ag economics, or related field; or equivalent combination of education and direct work experience
- Series 3 license or ability to attain one
- Understanding of grain trading, futures and options and risk management concepts
- 3 years relevant work experience
- 5 plus years of work experience trading, marketing or managing risk in a similar setting
- Familiarity with northern Midwest/western Canada farming industries
All employment offers will be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment drug screening and a federal and state background check.